With this Vegan Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal recipe, you’ll find a dish jam-packed with flavor! It is a combination of two breakfast classics: cinnamon rolls and baked oatmeal.
Sometimes putting together a full cinnamon roll recipe can be a little daunting, since there are many steps and it takes a lot of time. But you can get the same flavors in a simple-to-make baked oatmeal recipe. It will satisfy those cinnamon roll cravings and might just become one of your new favorites!
Read on to follow a step by step recap of the recipe.
Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal Steps
It’s pretty exciting to me that with just 10 minutes of prep time, a delicious breakfast treat can be ready to pop in the oven. There are 3 simple components to this recipe: the cinnamon filling, the oatmeal mixture and the icing. I’ve ordered the steps in the recipe to optimize the time it takes to make. Let’s get started!
Prepare The Cinnamon Roll Filling
If you have ever made cinnamon rolls from scratch, you might be familiar with a mixture of butter, cinnamon and sugar (at a minimum) to roll into the dough. In this recipe, you will be doing the same. But instead of mixing the ingredients together while the butter is soft, we will melt the butter. We do this to ensure when incorporated with the oatmeal, it blends well into the oatmeal mixture easily.
Once you’ve put together the cinnamon roll filling, set aside while starting in on the next steps. You will come back to use this in just a few minutes.
Oatmeal Mixture Prep
To prepare the oatmeal mixture, start by incorporating applesauce, oil, vanilla, baking powder and salt. Whisk until everything is well combined. This step helps ensure that there is even distribution of ingredients that might otherwise be hard to get combined well.
Once you have whisked up the initial ingredients, it’s time to add your oats and milk. In our home, we typically use So Delicious coconut milk or a homemade coconut/oat milk using our Almond Cow plant based milk maker (Amazon link). Below, in the background you’ll see we happened to use our homemade vegan milk recipe, but any milk will do just fine in this recipe.
Add Cinnamon Roll Filling
Now comes the tasty part! You’ve got your oatmeal all settled into an 8×8 pan. Here is where we’ll place the cinnamon roll filling and start to incorporate it into the oatmeal. We like to take 4 large scoops of the cinnamon filling and place them in the corners of the pan.
After placing the cinnamon roll mixture, use the back of a spoon and begin to gently work it into the top layer of the oatmeal. There is no need to fully mix it together or to try to get the cinnamon roll filling too deep into the oatmeal. During the baking process, that cinnamon flavor will melt into the whole dish!
Once the cinnamon filling is all spread out, it’s time to bake it. Place it in a preheated 350℉ oven for 35 minutes and enjoy the smells!
Make The Icing
With the oatmeal in the oven, this super simple icing will come together quickly. All it takes is vegan butter, powdered sugar and milk of your choice. This icing is so simple it take just 2 quick steps. First, melt the vegan butter and whisk in the powdered sugar. Then slowly pour in the vegan milk and whisk again to fully combine. That’s it – pretty simple, right?
Serving Vegan Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal
Once your baked oatmeal is out of the oven let it rest for a minute or so. Then, take your prepared icing and drizzle over the oatmeal. If you want to save a little extra icing to place directly in your bowl, keep about a quarter of the icing set aside. Otherwise, feel free to put all that icing on!
When we first made this recipe for our kids, they couldn’t get enough of it! I feel the same way. All the ingredients in here really recreate the cinnamon roll experience in a fraction of the time it takes to make traditional homemade cinnamon rolls. The bready-ness of the baked oatmeal, the warming cinnamon filling and creamy icing is like a hug. And who knows, you might just get a hug from the people you make this for!
Depending on your serving sizes, this could feed 4 or 5. But be prepared to want seconds!
Vegan Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal
- 1 Medium Mixing Bowl
- 1 small saucepan
- 1 8×8 baking dish
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup dairy-free milk
- 1¾ cup quick cooking oats
Cinnamon Roll Filling
- ¼ cup vegan butter melted
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp melted vegan butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp dairy-free milk
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
Prepare cinnamon roll filling mixture
- In a small saucepan melt butter and mix in coconut sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.¼ cup vegan butter, ½ cup coconut sugar, 1½ tsp cinnamon
Prepare the oatmeal
- Using a medium mixing bowl mix applesauce, oil, vanilla, baking powder and salt.¼ cup unsweetened applesauce, 2 Tbsp avocado oil, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp baking powder, ½ tsp salt
- Add the milk and oats to the applesauce mixture. Stir well.⅔ cup dairy-free milk, 1¾ cup quick cooking oats
- Spray an 8×8 baking dish with non stick spray.
- Spread mixture into a prepared 8×8 baking dish.
- Take 4 large spoonfuls of cinnamon roll filling and add to the top of oatmeal mixture. Use a knife to work cinnamon roll mixture into oatmeal mixture.
- Bake at 350℉ for 35 minutes
- Melt the butter.2 Tbsp melted vegan butter
- Whisk the butter and powdered sugar in a small mixing bowl.½ cup powdered sugar
- Once combined, pour in the milk. Whisk together. This should produce a smooth icing to drizzle on top of the baked oatmeal.1 tsp dairy-free milk
- Once out of the oven, drizzle icing onto the top of the oatmeal.
- Once served in a bowl, add in cold milk if desired.